Thursday, June 4, 2009

THE RIGHT STUFF

Last night the Spring rain showers kept me inside, feeling peaceful while my donation to LIFEBEAT in the form of a ticket to Vanessa Williams listening event went unused. Shame on me, but the money went to a good cause. I love Vanessa but wet toes in strappy sandals is not cute and feels disgusting. I so wanted to chat up Vanessa, who as a young girl competed in my father’s Masonic Lodge college scholarship pageant at some upstate NY high school auditorium. I remember being dragged to the event in the ‘80s. It seemed like it took forever and day to get there, and when we did arrive, it was in the middle of nowhere. This was way too “boonie” for my city kid behind. Take me back! By the time Vanessa hit the stage for the talent competition, my butt hurt from those hard school assembly seats. She was going to perform a dance number, but her music cassette tape stopped and would not play. The young diva didn’t let that stop her shine – she sang and danced! Ever since that night, when she won Miss Elejmal Temple, my mother kept a scrapbook and followed her career. She went on to win Miss New York and then Miss America. The rest is history. Last night’s ticketed event, at ΓΌber trendy Greenhouse nightclub in New York, was a listening party for her new CD “The Real Thing” and ticket proceeds when to LIFEBEAT. You go Vanessa! You will always be my Miss America. Fierce!

GET DOWN is not just a PSA, it’s a movement!
In peace and progress,

Kim J. Ford
www.facebook.com/kimjford
www.twitter.com/kimjford

Email us: getdownpsa2008@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/getdownpsa


No comments:

Post a Comment